Have you ever used a battery-operated device that’s got an old, worn-out battery? When a battery is depleted or running on sub-optimal power, your device simply doesn’t perform all that well right? But when you replace or recharge those batteries, then voila, your device runs smoothly, effectively, and powerfully once again.
Well, each of the cells within your body is like its own tiny, power-filled battery. And just like those batteries in your devices, your cell’s “battery” can become depleted and diminished. While you may not be able to simply “plug-in” or replace your cellular batteries, the good news is, there is a simple yet powerful way to recharge, re-energize, and really supercharge your cellular energy.
Thanks to a potent strategy known as PEMF therapy, you can restore and amplify each of your cells’ microscopic “batteries” and maximize their ability to perform. Let’s explore exactly what PEMF therapy is, how it “recharges” your cells, and how you can tap into the power of this fascinating modality.
What Is PEMF Therapy?
The acronym PEMF stands for pulsed electromagnetic field. An electromagnetic field is formed through the movement and flow of an electrical current – creating an invisible field of energy.1 PEMF therapy harnesses the power of this electromagnetic field by creating a controlled, low-frequency electromagnetic field and rhythmically pulses it – hence the name pulsed electromagnetic field therapy.
And directing these rhythmic pulses of energy into your body can have some remarkable effects.
What Does PEMF Therapy Do for the Body?
When low-frequency electromagnetic energy is directed into your body, it interacts with the natural magnetic fields within each of your cells. You see, in order to carry out their duties, your cells must be able to effectively move electrolytes, ions, nutrients, and other materials across the cellular membrane.
Infusing external electromagnetic energy into your body essentially supercharges your cells’ ability to perform – enhancing and promoting cellular functions like:
- Energy production
- Waste removal
- Repair and healing
- Carrying out specialized functions (this will vary greatly depending on exactly what each specialized cell is programmed to do)
So in short, PEMF is able to work as a catalyst to enhance and promote your cell’s innate abilities.2 This cell-boosting power can translate into some impressive benefits for your well-being.
PEMF Therapy Benefits: Is PEMF Therapy Really Effective?
PEMF therapy transmits and infuses healing energy into your cells – allowing your cells to absorb that energy and utilize it to more effectively perform their duties. This infusion of energy can have some remarkable health benefits. Some of the most potent health benefits that have been linked to the consistent application of PEMF therapy include:3,4,5,6,7,8
- Accelerated healing
- Better circulation
- Decreased inflammation
- Enhanced cognition and focus
- Improved cellular regeneration
- Increased quality and length of rejuvenating sleep
- Reduction in pain – both acute and chronic
Because PEMF therapy supercharges cellular health and function, its health benefits permeate every inch of your body from the inside out. And these health benefits aren’t just speculation, these claims are backed up by some robust scientific studies – just scroll down to the bottom of this page and browse through some of the links to take a peek at a handful of the scientific studies surrounding PEMF.
Now that you have an understanding of how PEMF works, you’re probably curious if there are any negative side effects or potential for harm you should be worried about.
Can PEMF Be Harmful?
Some people are hesitant to try PEMF therapy because they have heard that EMF exposure can be damaging to your health. But not to worry. You see, EMFs fall on a wide spectrum, with higher frequency man-made EMFs (like those emitted by wi-fi routers and cell phones) indeed causing harm and potentially disrupting your health.
But low-level EMFs – like those utilized in PEMF – mimic the healing frequencies of natural, EMFs that are found abundantly in nature from things like the earth, the sun, and your own cells. With that being said, even the beneficial, healing frequencies used in PEMF are not ideal for everyone. You may want to approach the use of PEMF cautiously if any of the following scenarios apply to you:9,10
- You have any implanted electrical devices: Transmitting PEMF waves into your body can potentially interfere with the functionality of certain implanted electrical devices like a cochlear implant, intrathecal pump, or pacemaker.
- You’re pregnant: While it’s unlikely to be harmful, there have not been enough studies conducted on the application of PEMF during pregnancy to confirm whether or not it’s entirely safe – so it’s best to play it safe and wait until after baby is delivered to start or resume PEMF therapy.
- You’re undergoing active chemotherapy or cancer treatment: Because PEMF therapy can trigger cellular replication, it can potentially supercharge the function of your healthy cells right alongside cancerous cells. So if you’re actively undergoing chemotherapy or cancer treatment, be sure to consult with your treatment team before considering PEMF therapy.
- You have a bleeding or clotting disorder: PEMF can improve blood flow and circulation – potentially increasing your risk of bleeding if you have a pre-existing bleeding or clotting disorder.
Again, PEMF therapy is generally quite safe. But it’s not going to be the ideal therapy for everyone. So now that we have that out of the way, you’re probably curious about what to expect after a PEMF therapy session and if there are any potential side effects you should be aware of.
PEMF Therapy Side Effects: How Do You Feel After PEMF Therapy?
Most people report feeling relaxed and refreshed after a PEMF therapy session. But because PEMF can have a distinct impact on how your cells are functioning, occasionally a PEMF therapy session may leave you feeling temporarily worse than when you started. But not to worry, feeling worse before you feel better isn’t necessarily a cause for concern. Rather it’s a clear indication that PEMF therapy is working.
Some of the side effects you could potentially experience for a short time after PEMF therapy include:
- A spike in pain: PEMF therapy stimulates your tissues and your nerves – meaning it can temporarily make chronic or underlying pain worse as it stimulates healing.
- Skin irritation: The increased circulation induced by PEMF therapy can sometimes temporarily irritate sensitive skin.
- Decreased blood pressure and/or heart rate: If you’re prone to low blood pressure or on medications that lower your blood pressure, the increased circulation triggered by PEMF may cause you to feel temporarily lightheaded or dizzy.
- Fatigue or feeling ill: PEMF therapy can accelerate the release and removal of stored toxins – which can leave you feeling crummy as your body processes and eliminates them.
Most side effects that come with PEMF are quite minor and short-lived. So if you’ve read enough and are ready to experience the power of PEMF therapy for yourself, you’re probably chomping at the bit to learn where you can try it out.
Where Can I Try PEMF Therapy?
While you can certainly purchase at-home mats, machines, and devices to use on your own, this powerful therapy is best performed and experienced under the guidance of an experienced clinician. You see, PEMF therapy isn’t a “one-and-done” kind of treatment. To truly reap the benefits of PEMF therapy, it’s best to use it consistently over a period of time and incorporate it into your wellness routine.
By utilizing PEMF therapy under the guidance of an experienced clinician, you can be sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck and leveraging this potent health-boosting strategy in the most powerful way possible. So if you’re ready to experience PEMF therapy and reside in Phoenix or the surrounding areas, we’ve got you covered.
PEMF: Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy In Phoenix Arizona
Here at our cutting-edge wellness center located in Phoenix Arizona, PEMF therapy is one of our most popular – and most powerful – treatment options. When you visit us for your PEMF therapy session, all you have to do is lie back and relax while one of our expert clinicians calibrates, applies, and adjusts a perfectly personalized treatment session.
Here at Silver Tree Wellness, we leave no stone unturned when it comes to helping you feel, look, and perform your very best. We’ll do a deep dive into every facet of your well-being –physically, mentally, spiritually, environmentally, and more – to come up with a comprehensive and completely customized plan to optimize your health. We’ll use powerful healing modalities like PEMF paired with lifestyle adjustments, and an arsenal of additional biohacking strategies to help you create the vibrant health and happiness you deserve.
If you’re ready to experience the healing power of PEMF and create an entirely personalized path to optimal well-being, don’t hesitate to come in and consult with one of our experienced practitioners here at Silver Tree Wellness.
- Electric & Magnetic Fields (nih.gov)
- New to PEMF? Start Here. – DrPawluk.com
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial using a low-frequency magnetic field in the treatment of musculoskeletal chronic pain (nih.gov)
- Effect of pulsed electromagnetic field treatment on programmed resolution of inflammation pathway markers in human cells in culture (nih.gov)
- Increases in microvascular perfusion and tissue oxygenation via pulsed electromagnetic fields in the healthy rat brain (nih.gov)
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields and Tissue Engineering of the Joints (nih.gov)
- Low-Frequency Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Is Able to Modulate miRNAs in an Experimental Cell Model of Alzheimer’s Disease (nih.gov)
- Impulse magnetic-field therapy for insomnia: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study – PubMed (nih.gov)
- [Safety First] Side effects of using PEMF therapy | Oxford Medicals™
- Promising application of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMFs) in musculoskeletal disorders – ScienceDirect