We can all attest to the fact that being in any kind of pain can put a serious damper on your life. And if that pain becomes particularly intense or goes on for a prolonged amount of time, it can become downright all-consuming. And with millions of people grappling with some sort of pain on a regular basis, there’s no shortage of remedies out there that attempt to provide some form of relief.
But what if I told you there was a wildly simple therapy that could help diminish pain almost immediately, help decrease baseline pain levels over time, and even help your body heal your pain at the source? And what if I told you that these miraculous results could be created by simply shining a light on your body?
While the idea of light therapy addressing and even reversing complex pain conditions sounds far-fetched and a little too good to be true, this powerful treatment is shining a whole new light on how we approach pain management. In this blog post, we’re going to explore exactly what light therapy is, how these wavelengths of light exert their miraculous healing effects, and how you can experience this remarkable treatment for yourself if you’re seeking relief from any type of pain. Let’s dive in.
What is Light Therapy?
Light therapy, sometimes also referred to as photobiomodulation, is a simple treatment that delivers wavelengths of different light throughout your body. You see, different types of light are able to penetrate into your skin and tissues at different depths – with each specific wavelength delivering unique healing properties.
Light therapy utilizes a wide spectrum of lights including green, amber, orange, blue, and violet as well as two particularly powerful forms of light energy known as red light and infrared light. Both red and infrared light is able to penetrate deep into your tissues and diffuse their healing energy.
When combined, these healing light energies can have a remarkable impact on your body – especially when it comes to pain.
What Types of Pain Can Light Therapy Help With?
Light therapy has been clinically proven to help minimize and treat many different types of pain including:1,2
- Wounds like diabetic ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, surgical incisions, acute injuries, and/or burns
- Arthritic pain and joint pain triggered by other degenerative changes
- Muscle pain and soreness from tissue damage, injury, or overuse
- Inflammatory pain
- Pain associated with autoimmune diseases (like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or multiple sclerosis)
- Neuropathy and different forms of nerve pain
You see, unlike many conventional approaches to pain management, light therapy addresses many of the root causes that drive pain in the first place. The deeply penetrating, healing energy of light therapy can help reduce feelings of pain almost immediately, deliver long-lasting improvement in overall pain levels, and help your body heal the source that your pain is stemming from.
So how exactly can light therapy accomplish these impressive impacts?
How Exactly Does Light Therapy Treat Pain?
So how can something as simple as light have such a remarkable impact on a complex process like pain? You see, as wavelengths of light energy permeate your tissues, the light’s energy is diffused into your cells – infusing them with a concentrated dose of energy and essentially “activating” them. This cellular activation and infusion of energy has a domino effect, inducing changes at the cellular level that include:3,4,5,6
- A boost in cellular oxygenation and the delivery of nutrients to your cells
- Increased production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) – your cells’ energy source
- Improved cellular function – amplifying your cells’ ability to heal and regenerate
- Heightened collagen production – a crucial protein that your body relies on to heal and support connective tissues, joints, skin, and more
- Improved balance in cellular alkalinity and an upregulation of alkaline phosphatase – a cellular enzyme that’s crucial for healing and growth
- Amplified production and release of nitric oxide – a molecule that plays a critical role in the regulation of the healing process and is pivotal for pumping the brakes on inflammation
Together, this combination of effects induces specific changes in the body which include:
- Increased blood circulation
- A decrease in inflammatory markers
- A decrease in free radicals and oxidative stress
- Amplified wound healing and tissue regeneration
This is how light therapy is able to trigger a significant reduction in both acute and chronic pain while helping your body heal the root cause that’s driving pain in the first place. But you’re probably curious if these incredible healing properties come with any concerning side effects.
Is Light Therapy Safe: Light Therapy Risks and Side Effects
In general, light therapy is incredibly safe. The wavelengths of light and energy utilized in light therapy are different from those emitted by the sun, so there’s no concern about overuse or tissue damage. With that being said, not all light therapy devices are created equally – especially when it comes to pain relief.
So how do you go about choosing the most effective light therapy if you’re grappling with new or ongoing pain?
What Is the Best Light Therapy for Pain?
While different colors and types of lights each have their own unique benefits, when it comes to pain relief, you’ll need to employ the power of both red light and infrared light to get the job done. These two specific forms of light energy are the deepest penetrating of the light wavelengths and are the primary types of light that have been scientifically proven to induce all of the miraculous healing and pain-busting benefits listed above.
Research has also found that applying light therapy in a pulsed, rhythmic frequency can create a synergistic effect – essentially amplifying the healing properties of the light wavelengths. By delivering the light in harmonic frequencies that are designed to match your body’s own natural healing frequencies, your body more easily shifts into a state of relaxation and healing.
Another factor to consider when it comes to using light therapy to address pain is the appropriate dosage and timing. This is why it can be particularly helpful to undergo light therapy under the direction of a clinician that’s well-versed in the healing powers of light therapy.
Where Can I Try Light Therapy for Pain?
If you’re dealing with pain and are curious if light therapy can help, the best place to start is under the guidance of a practitioner that has the tools and knowledge to get you started. While there are at-home light therapy devices that you can purchase, working under the guidance of a clinician will ensure that you’re utilizing top-of-the-line, science-backed light therapy devices at the appropriate timing, dosage, and placement to get you relief from pain as quickly as possible.
It’s also important to work with a practitioner to help you identify and address all of the factors that may be contributing to your pain in the first place. You see, light therapy is an incredibly useful tool to help relieve pain, halt inflammation, and stimulate healing. But to truly address pain at the source, it’s crucial to understand and address exactly what it is that’s causing pain, triggering inflammation, and slowing healing to begin with.
A quality practitioner will take a big-picture approach – helping you find relief fast while creating a comprehensive plan to keep you as pain-free as possible moving forward.
Light Therapy for Pain in Phoenix Arizona
If you’re located in Phoenix or the surrounding areas and are grappling with chronic pain, an acute painful condition, or are in the process of recovering from an injury or surgical procedure, we can help. Here at Silver Tree Wellness, we utilize LumiCeuticals light therapy – combining the powerful healing properties of light with vibrational energy. By pulsing light wavelengths at healing frequencies, LumiCeuticals harmonizing light therapy can diminish pain and supercharge healing while allowing you to tap into a deeply restful meditative state – helping your body, mind, and soul relax, retune, and recover.
Our top-notch clinicians will partner with you to create an entirely customized plan to not only soothe your immediate pain but to address your pain at the source. We specialize in a holistic approach, diving deep into everything that impacts your well-being – physically, mentally, spiritually, environmentally, and much much more.
If you’re ready to take the next step in healing and ready to find some relief from the pain you’re experiencing, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Call our office at 602-675-0170 or email us by clicking right here to schedule your consultation today. We would be honored to partner with you in your health journey and will leave no stone unturned in helping you feel your very best.
- Low-intensity LASER and LED (photobiomodulation therapy) for pain control of the most common musculoskeletal conditions – PubMed (nih.gov)
- Mechanisms and applications of the anti-inflammatory effects of photobiomodulation (nih.gov)
- Low level laser therapy modulates viability, alkaline phosphatase and matrix metalloproteinase-2 activities of osteoblasts – ScienceDirect
- Light-induced nitric oxide release in the skin beyond UVA and blue light: Red & near-infrared wavelengths – ScienceDirect
- Frontiers | Review on the Cellular Mechanisms of Low-Level Laser Therapy Use in Oncology (frontiersin.org)
- Mechanisms and applications of the anti-inflammatory effects of photobiomodulation (nih.gov)